Position: Vice President, Resource Development
Reports to: Senior Vice President & Chief Development Officer
Organization Summary: United Way of New York City (UWNYC) is a nonprofit mobilizing people and organizations to eradicate barriers and create opportunities that improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers. Part of the United Way Worldwide system, one of the world's most recognized charitable brands, we envision caring communities in which all individuals and families have access to quality education and the opportunity to lead healthy and financially secure lives. We strive to model our values in all our relationships, both internal and external: Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability, and Superior Performance.
The Vice President, Resource Development (VP), reports directly to the Senior Vice President & Chief Development Officer (CDO) and serves as a key member of the Resource Development Team. In particular, the VP will lead Corporate Engagement within the Resource Development Department, as well as collaborate with key members of the President’s Office, and all other departments. The VP leads a team of eight highly-motivated fundraising professionals, and several key support staff.
The VP’s primary responsibility will be to achieve fundraising targets and strengthen UWNYC’s partnerships within the corporate sector. This role requires a strong focus on new business development and must incorporate an innovative sales mentality and structure to the UWNYC fundraising team.
They will further develop and implement strategic plans for engaging companies and individuals and driving the most strategic revenue channels into truly vibrant donor communities.
The ideal candidate to assume this role must possess strong skills & competencies including: demonstrated sales and business development acumen; experience leading a team of sales and/or fundraising professionals, diplomacy, flexibility, accountability, sense of humor, and the ability and commitment to empower and mentor their colleagues.
- Identify, cultivate and generate revenue from aggressive New Business targets
- Establish an analytical culture with the existing and developing team
- Contribute to UWNYC leadership team with perspectives on implementing new digital and sales strategies
- Familiar with CRM platforms and assist with building out an effective CRM Sales tool (SalesHood)
- Continue to build out existing and new donor communities through UWNYC’s affinity groups, and align strategy to demonstrate revenue generation from all donor channels
- Lead a team of highly motivated fundraising and engagement professionals
- Collaborate with the Community Impact, Events, and Marketing & Communication teams to create a unique UWNYC donor community that supports employee donors, Board giving and major gifts outside the workplace campaigns.
Board Giving and Engagement
- Support the CDO in actively engaging Board members in business development and new fundraising campaigns
- Maintain individual relationships with select Board members and respond to individual requests.
- Contribute and participate in the Resource Development Committee meetings on a regular basis.
- Develop and retain a high-caliber staff to ensure the goals of the Department are achieved in the most cost-efficient, professional manner; assist with the development of rigorous objectives that drive toward higher performance
- Help build an environment of open communication with Staff members
- Help establish a high level of professionalism across the Department
- Oversee the preparation of reports and call materials
- Establish, communicate, and maintain Departmental and organization-wide policies and procedures related to corporate fundraising program responsibilities
- Develop and execute program/project management, operational, and change management strategies around business initiatives/processes by utilizing proven methodologies and working across the organization to implement
- Create leadership dashboards and reporting cadence to swiftly track Department’s overall performance
- Work with the Resource Development Operations and IT teams to ensure that CRM is utilized to support corporate account management to capture and track all donor and prospective activities
- Maintain ongoing information sharing within Resource Development Department and all other departments
- Work cross-functionally to develop and implement successful marketing and communications strategy tailored to top corporate partners including all United Way targeted campaigns
- Ensure quality and consistency of information exchange with key donors
- Review and contribute to annual reports, newsletters, online materials
Finance & Administration
- Develop, gain approval of, and manage the donor relations function within the approved budget; develop relationships with the Finance and Operations staff to ensure that timely and correct information is provided to audit
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- 15+ years of progressively responsible positions in sales or non-profit corporate development fundraising
- Demonstrated sales/business development acumen and success
- Experience leading a team of sales and/or fundraising professionals
- Strong executive presence
- Innovative, creative and strong interest in executing new strategies to exceed revenue goals
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated progressive relationship management/closing of large customer sales or major gifts
- Proficiency translating data and analytics into actionable insights
- Solid understanding and curiosity for emerging analytics techniques and how they translate into actionable insights for corporate engagement
- Excellent writing, editing, verbal, analytical and presentation skills
- Strong quantitative analysis skills; ability to target the right metrics and to clearly communicate complex data
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in building relationships with board members, major donors, corporate executives, and government and community agency leaders
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and results
- Experience in managing and mentoring a team of fundraising or sales specialists, both internal and external
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution
- Superior management and problem-solving skills, including the ability to advocate for and manage to budget priorities
- Presence and confidence to project credibility to the Board and other strategic stakeholders
- A passion for UWNYC’s mission, vision, and accomplishments
- Drives Revenue
- Business Acumen and Strategic Direction
- Mission Focused
- Planning and Execution
- Embracing and Managing Change
- Superior Performance
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter with salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title "Vice President, Resource Development" in the subject line. No phone calls or faxes accepted.
United Way of New York City is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer