Position: VP, Legal & Compliance
Reports to: CFOO
The Vice President, Legal and Compliance will report directly to the Chief Financial and Operations Officer (CFOO) and will assist with the overall management of all the legal and operational affairs of the organization. This position is engaged with Board governance, and has frequent interactions with UWNYC’s executive team and Board members.
- Advise the CFOO, members of UWNYC executive and senior management, and others within the organization on nonprofit corporate, tax, compliance, intellectual property, corporate governance, benefits, litigation, and employment law issues
- Draft, review, revise, and negotiate a variety of contracts, such as grant, funding, and program agreements with nonprofits collaborating with UWNYC on program, agreements relating to data sharing, vendor and consultant agreements, and agreements relating to ownership of intellectual property, corporate sponsorships, special events, licensing, real estate and leases, among other things, and advise senior management on related issues
- Ensure organizational compliance with contracts and applicable law and regulation, such as lobbying, regulatory and public policy matters and laws relating to charitable solicitations in New York State and nationally
- Advise on risk management practice, liability, and insurance matters
- Advise on Board governance documents and governance issues, preparing materials for Board and committee meetings. Partner with CFOO on management of Board and related committees.
- Monitor and advise on legislative developments related to nonprofit organizations, including human resources and benefits-related legislation.
- Reviewing and/or prepare for filing various financial reporting documents, such as the Form 990 and state registration forms, filings and reports due to United Way Worldwide, filings relating to lobbying compliance, filings relating to governmental pre-qualifications and filings due to watchdog agencies, such as the Better Business Bureau
- Assist on special projects with the CFOO and other members of the executive team.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- A law degree from an accredited institution
- Five or more years of experience practicing law in law firm or public interest environment
- Admitted to practice law in New York State
- Applicant will ideally have corporate and nonprofit law experience. Applicant shall also have demonstrated interest in public interest law
- Excellent analytical, drafting, negotiation, research and oral and written communication skills
- Ability to provide sound legal advice, develop creative solutions, and exercise sound business judgment
- Track record of demonstrating professional judgment and discretion in being of service to multiple teams and senior managers in a diverse and multi-faceted organization
- Exceptional initiative and proven ability to work efficiently and effectively in a collegial and fast-paced environment
- Ability and willingness to handle multiple assignments, meet deadlines and pay strong attention to detail
- Flexibility and willingness to work as part of a team as well as independently
- Ability and willingness to perform tasks with creativity and a sense of humor
- A commitment to UWNYC’s mission and values
- Effective & Engaging Communicator
- Planning & Execution
- Business Acumen & Strategic Direction
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title "VP, Legal and Compliance" in the subject line of the email. No phone calls or faxes accepted. United Way of New York City is an Equal Opportunity Employer